Monday, February 21, 2011

Weight Watchers~ Are you kidding me?

Oh my goodness!  I was very pumped after joining Weight Watchers online because, with four kids, I don't really have time to sit in on meetings.  I did, however want to go in for an official weigh in.  I got ready Sunday and headed out to the site at Meadows Shopping Center. When I entered the store, the woman at the counter was very friendly and asked if she could help me.  I explained to her that I had signed up online and just wanted to weigh in.  She then asked me if I had gotten the monthly pass.  I didn't get a pass because all I wanted to do was weigh in, plain and simple.  I didn't want the start up materials, just wanted to step on the scale.  She told me that because I signed up for the online program I could not weigh in.  Are you kidding me?  I almost had to pick my jaw up off the floor.  I was thinking, I paid Weight Watchers over $50, and all I want to do is step on a scale, and you are telling me, "No"?  You don't even have to read me the number.  I can look at it and read it myself.  Seriously?  She told me that if I wanted to pay $13, I could weigh in.  Yeah, right!  I think I'll keep my $13 and stick to my own scale.  Anyhoo, I started browsing the products because I was informed that I could still purchase some of those.  I spotted a dining out book and thought that I should buy one to keep in the car for those times when we are forced to grab a quick bite when out and about.  I thought that I was getting lucky because it was on sale.  I grabbed one and took it to the counter.  I was expecting her to tell me that it was $7.95, but she told me that I owed $9.95.  Once again I had a weird look on my face.  She proceeded to explain that I am not really considered a "member", so I cannot purchase items at the sale price.  Now, I was really started to get irritated, but I wanted the book so I handed her $10.  Afterward, she said, "Oh yeah.  We are out of the calculators, but when they do come in, you  cannot buy one.  They are for members only."    With that, I took my little book and headed to Walmart to buy my Weight Watchers snacks.
The point of this post is to warn others to be careful when purchasing a Weight  Watchers program.  Luckily, I don't want to attend the meetings and I have a scale at home, so I will survive.  I do find it a little silly that they wouldn't even let me put one toe on their scale.  I guess the online members are the red-headed step-children of the Weight Watchers family, maybe even a distant third cousin, twice removed.  ~Hope

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is crazy! I would have been fuming. I'll be talking to my leader on Thursday about this.

Pamela said...

Hope, I read you have taken the WW route, but I wanted to share with you a free program my husband & I have used for over a year now. www.loseit.com. It is online and also a free app on the iphone. My husband has lost 55 pounds and I nearly 30 by counting calories. We "weigh in" weekly, of which your friends can see (if you so allow).

It has a food bank of restaurants and groceries that you can log daily (you can also add your own). It tells you how many calories you should consume, if you've gone over/under, counts your exercise, and you can invite friends to help keep you accountable. There is also an online forum to talk to others going through the same things and to get ideas on foods, exercise, etc. and it's all FREE! :)

Everyone has to find what works for them, but I thought I'd mention it. They did also write a book that can be checked out at the library if you don't want to buy it. Good luck to you!

Monica Klemm said...

It's not true it for members. I to am an online WW and I get sale price I get all. I don't know about the weight in part. Thats just crazy!!!

I live in Cedar Rapids IA but it shouldn't matter where you live.

Hope said...

Monica, I am glad that you get the sale prices. I thought it was crazy too! Oh, well! I will weigh in at home.

Hope said...

Pamela- Thanks so much for the tip about the free program. I will probably switch over to that after my 3 months is up.

Congratulations to you and your husband on your weight loss! That's great!

Elizabeth said...

Check back with us. Corporate sends us mixed signals about what we can and cannot do. As far as I know there is no set policy except that Online cannot weigh in at a meeting location nor can they by a P+ calculator (if we had them) at the sale price, (online and WW AT HOME are considered a different animal), that is meeting room members only. There have been shortages on program related product in the meeting rooms recently. Meeting room members are getting first dibs on what we have....that is becoming less of a challenge as we move into March. We have had the biggest "launch" of a new year in over a decade. Please stay tuned and check with Crystal.

Hope said...

Thank you, Elizabeth. I know that you leaders are only following policy, so it's nothing personal, I just thought it was silly that "Weight Watchers" wouldn't allow me to weigh in after giving them $50, regardless of where I signed up.
Also, Crystal is very lucky to have the support of such a wonderful leader. I know she counts on you a lot. It's so nice to see people caring about people.