Saturday, February 19, 2011

Old WW Program vs New WW program

I was asked by a friend of mine to give some of the differences between the old and new Weight Watcher program.  A lot of this info comes straight from the WW Points Plus Getting started book.
  • The first major change is that you get more points based on your height, weight and age. 
    • Along with that a lot of the foods went up in points. 
  • The point value is no longer calculated based on just calories, fat and fiber. 
    • Now points are calculated by fat, carbs, protein and fiber. 
      • For example the minimum daily points target on the old program was 18 points per day, then microwave popcorn was 3 points and a soft pretzel was 3 points. 
        • Now, with the new program minimum Daily Points Target is 29 points with that same popcorn being 3 points and the pretzel is now 6 points.
  • All fruits, fresh and canned in their own juice, are 0 points. 
  • Most veggies with the exception of starchy veggies such as corn, potatoes and peas are 0 points. 
  • You must be careful when choosing bread. 
    • A lot of bread you can find for 3 points for 2 slices and some are 2 points per slice. 
      • Read the labels and use your calculator
  • I am eating breakfast now.  I used to just have a WW smoothie and now I am making a better effort to use some of my points on breakfast and I have to admit it is helping me not be so hungry at lunch time.
    • For example a medium croissant with butter is 270 calories and is 7 points
    • 1 poached egg, 1 slice of whole-wheat toast with a pat of butter and 3 oz ham is 270 calories and 6 points
      • Which breakfast would you rather have?
    • Even though the calories are the same the second breakfast has more protein and fiber thus less points
  • Also, the weekly points allowance went up from 35 to 49
    • This is built in to the week to allow for special occasions or to treat yourself
    • Your allowance is optional you may choose to use them or choose not to use them. 
    • They are there if you need a cushion to fall back on
    • If you don't feel like you're getting enough points per day take your weekly points allowance and divide it by 7 (days of the week) and that will give you 7 extra points per day
I hope I've covered a few more things than last time...I may have repeated myself...it takes some getting used to if you've been used to the old program or if you're just new to WW.  Keep with whatever you have chosen to do! 
~Crystal

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting that clears up some questions that I had. My co-worker is on WW and is a lifetime member, Now I know why she's been eating all the fruit lately. That is great to know. I think this new program would be great for Carrie and I considering our thyroid issues, we are supposed to be on a low-carb anyway. Thanks for sharing the info. Do they sell a special calculator?? Corrie

Anonymous said...

http://louisvuittonbelt.citationguide.net 41362 353631lv wallet for men price malaysia louis vuitton sneakers men cheap hermes delivery jobs cheap hermes belts for men