Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hope ~ RUNNING!

I am so excited!  I have been walking the weight loss program on my treadmill for one and a half weeks now.  Most days, I do it twice~ once during the little boys' nap time, and then again after they go to bed.  I don't sweat as much as I used to when I started, and I don't get out of breath.  So, this morning, I decided to see if I could run jog a small portion of it.  I was thinking that I would be able to jog about 30 seconds.  But, to my surprise, I ran 30 seconds....and kept going....and going.....and going!  I was able to run a quarter of a mile without stopping!  That was over three minutes!  Some of you may be thinking, Three minutes?  A quarter of a mile?  Big woo!  But, let me assure you, that for someone who couldn't run around the cul-de-sac last summer, it is a major accomplishment!  After the quarter of a mile, I walked at 3.8 for awhile.  Pretty soon, I felt the urge to run again.  I set the speed at 5mph and jogged for about an eighth of a mile, followed by walking at 3.8, then jogged another eighth of a mile at 5mph!  I finished out my thirty minutes by walking to cool myself down. I really want to run the 5K in May without stopping.  I don't know if that will become a reality, but I am working hard to make it one!
~Hope 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is AWESOME! I'm so happy for you! You are amazing!!

Pamela said...

That is the best way to start! Small increments, and before you know it, you will be running the whole way. Great job!

Hope said...

Thank you, Crystal and Pamela!