Saturday, July 9, 2011

Meeting Ben & "Pa" and some new friends

As anyone who reads this blog knows I have mentioned Ben several times.  He announced a few months ago that he was going on a 40 day 31 city Do Life Movement tour across the country.  At each stop they meet and mingle, do a 5K and then head out somewhere (usually Panera Bread) to eat.  I really wanted to go and meet him, but the closest location was St. Louis.  I thought it over and asked Craig if he would mind driving there so I could meet Ben and his "Pa" and he took a vacation day so we could go.  Have I mentioned how great he is?  Hes' such a great guy!  So, we headed out on the 3 1/2 hour drive to St. Louis.  We had to factor in they hour time difference and allow for traffic.  That left us getting there an hour early, which I was nervous about because I didn't want to seem eager, but as we pulled up I was glad that someone else was there already.  I also didn't want to totally GEEK out meeting Ben and "Pa", but I was SUPER excited!  I've been in such a slump for the past two months and I thought meeting and talking to Ben would ramp up my motivation.  After meeting Ben and "Pa" we started talking to the other person that was already there.  We met John.  He is a super nice guy and started his weight loss "journey" just the day before I did.  He has lost a total of 30 lbs!  That's what the Do Life Movement is all about, meeting people who are on the same path to health and fitness.  People started showing up, people of all shapes and sizes.  I have to say Ben and his dad are the most genuine, caring, friendliest and funniest people you'll ever meet.  Ben's charisma about what he's doing is infectious!  So, after a few instructions from Ben we got started on the 5K.  Ben starts out running with the runners waits at the 1/2 way point for everyone to come through and then walks back with the last walker.  So, Craig and I got started.  If you know St. Louis at all you know how hilly it can be especially the area around the zoo.  That's where the 5K was.  For being so hilly and super humid and hot that day I was happy with my time of 54:30.  No it wasn't the best time, but that's not what it was about.  It wasn't about a PR or beating someone, it was about getting together to motivate and inspire others.  Here's a few photos from the event:
Ben and I doing the "finger point"
You'd have to read his blog to understand this.
Craig, Ben and I
A big thanks again to my wonderful husband for driving to
St. Louis and back so I could have this opportunity!
Ben giving some instructions and directions on where to go
The St. Louis Do Life Movement group
As a group has lost 1,175 pounds!
The Start/Finish line
And they're off!
The 1/2 way point 
Ben waiting at the 1/2 way point encouraging all the way!
Ben, "Pa" (John) and I afterwards at Chipotle 
This is John.  It was so great meeting him and getting to know him. 
I think we've made a wonderful new friend!

So, that was my experience with the Do Life Movement and I wasn't the least bit disappointed.  Maybe next year Ben can come closer, like Indy!  We did try to talk him into doing the Indy Mini Marathon and it would be great to see him there!
~Crystal

1 comment:

stacy said...

Crystal~~I am SO HAPPY for you. Your husband is truly a very special man to have taken you to meet your idol! Now that you've met the man, get out there and do life!!!