Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bar review...no not that kind of bar silly!!

This kind of bar!!

I've been looking for a great tasting bar that isn't too high in points, but is filling and has some protein since I don't get much protein in every day.  So, I went out and purchased five bars at the local grocery store.  BTW, why is health food so expensive?  It seems like it's cheaper to be fat and eat junk...I'm just sayin'!  Over the course of a week I tried these bars and I'm going to break it down by bar and give you what I thought of each one.  I'm also going to rate them on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best.

MOJO
Peanut butter pretzel
All natural trail mix bar
Clif Bar & Co.
5 PP (Points Plus)
9 g protein
Had bits of pretzels, nuts and peanut butter chips
I loved the taste of this bar and it was filling.  It also wasn't too salty or too sweet.  Just the right combination of both.  Very good! 
Rating 10

LUNA bar
Nutz over chocolate
Clif Bar & Co.
5 PP
9 g protein
Great taste, filling, right amount of sweetness with just a hint of saltiness.
Rating 8

Pure Protein
Chewy chocolate chip (chocolate covered)
Worldwide Sport Nutritional Supplements Inc.
5 PP
20 g protein
Looked like a candy bar, but looks are deceiving.  This one was chalky and I really didn't care for it at all!
Rating 1

Lara Bar
Peanut butter chocolate chip
6 PP
5 g protein
Gluten free
This one looked like it wouldn't taste good at all when I opened it, but looks are deceiving.  I loved this one!  It was my favorite of all 5 and I have since bought a whole package of them.  They are worth the 6 PP.
Rating 10

Clif Bar
Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch
7 PP (a lot of PP for a small bar, but if you're need an energy bar for on the go this would be a good one!)
9 g protein
Loved the taste, but I thought for that many points it was awfully small.  But it was another favorite!
Rating 10

The Clif Bar, the MOJO bar and the Lara bar were my top 3 picks and as I said I've already purchased a box of Lara Bars.  I have also bought another MOJO bar, I loved the pretzel and nut bits. 

As always, this is just my opinion and I'm finding things that work for me and maybe they'll work for you too!

Disclaimer:  I was not compensated for this post.  I didn't receive any free bars to do this review.  Although if any of these companies want to send me some free bars I wouldn't refuse them!! 

3 comments:

Hope said...

I love the kids' Cliff bar too! It might be fewer points than the regular one.

Libby said...

If I remember right - the LaraBar was recommended by Biggest Loser TV show. They recommened it b/c of the ingredients - I think it was more all natural ingredients.

corrie said...

My favorite protein bars are Aldi ones, The fit and active ones, They are packed with protein and not too much fat and calories for what you get. They are very filling they have 4 flavors and I love them all. They are .95 too. Give them a try, I've many and these are way better than any I've ever found. Corrie