Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Two 5Ks in one day! Craziness!

Yes, you read that right.  Even though I've had a bad month I did do two 5Ks in one day!  There's nothing that can explain that other than pure craziness!  The first one I did was for an actual time and was an organized 5K, I got a shirt and everything!  LOL!  I was so happy that my family was there supporting me, even though one of my children didn't appreciate being woken up so early in the morning and was in a bad mood.  My wonderful husband was there and took some photos of me.  The first 5K was the ZoomTown 5K Covered Bridge Run/Walk in Parke County, IN.  It was set against two covered bridges which the area is know for, there's a festival and everything! 
When I went to get my bib I was given the option to run or walk.  I chose to run, but they said you could walk during the run but you couldn't run during the walk.  After I had my bib for a few minutes and thought about it, I decided to walk instead of run.  I didn't want to dissappoint myself if I couldn't run due to the fact that it was all hills and valleys.  I was happy with my choice to walk. 
Not sure what I was thinking about or who I was looking at here! 
You can't read my shirt, but it says "If you can read this then I'm not last!"

I started off really well, but when I hit mile marker 1 I thought, "What!"  I thought I had gone farther.  I was walking at a good pace, but those hills really slowed me down.  Then I saw the 1/2 way mark and I saw something waiting for me...my husband was standing there taking pictures and there was my daughter standing there with my water bottle!  She is so sweet!  She said to me, "Do you need a drink Mama?"  It was all I could do to fight back tears!  I could have just stopped there, but I knew I had to keep going. 

I was never so happy to see that covered bridge in my life!  I don't know if it was the hills or what.  I was glad I had finished it.  I had signed up, set my mind to do it and I did it.  I accompished something that I wouldn't have done a year ago and that to me was an accomplishment!
I finished with a time of 51:07 (minutes) and I was happy with that for having walked the whole thing.  I was hoping to finish in 45 minutes, but the hills slowed me down quite a bit!

Then it was on to the next 5K!  That day was the Walk It Challenge for WW and our local meeting was having two that day.  I couldn't make it to the first, but I was going to make it to the 2nd one for sure!  Hope had said she was going to do it with me and I'm glad I had someone to do the 2nd one with.  I needed someone to keep me going or it would have been slow going for me.  We walked and talked and we completed that one in 51:29 (minutes).  I was happy with that time considering by that time I was completed soaked and was exhausted!  All in all I would have to say it was a good day, but you'll have to read my next post to find out why I haven't done anything since then!
~Crystal

2 comments:

Pamela said...

I still say you are crazy, but a good crazy!! That's awesome! I can't imagine competing in two 5k's in one day! So proud of you!

Just a word of advice. Don't look at exercise as a bad word. Look at is fun, your time, meditation, solitude... Try not to see it as a negative. When I changed how I looked at "exercise," I realized how much I enjoyed it. Rather than "having" to do it, I "get" to do it, like a reward. :)

Hope said...

Shara-Lyn is so cute! Where was that adorable little water girl when I needed her in Indy? We need to find another 5K to sign up for. I think that is a major motivator!