Saturday, June 18, 2011

Kids running

In an effort to keep my children busy this first few weeks of summer vacation I signed them up for a summer running clinic that is put on by our local Road Runners Club.  They meet twice a week for an hour and run, but it's not just straight running.  They are teaching them about stretching, conditioning, pacing, etc.  They are getting them ready to run the Fast Track Mile on July 4th.  The first day my son couldn't make it because he had a tournament game, but my daughter went.  She loved it!  She even wanted to run more after it was over.  That day they did a total of a mile.  I walked a little while they were running.  I tracked 1/2 a mile then I came back to check on them and was just kind of standing around and one of the moms there asked if I'd like to walk with her.  I did and was glad that she asked or I would have just stood around when I should have been exercising.  I ended up with a total of 1 3/4 miles.

The 2nd day both of my kiddos went and they loved it!  After I dropped them off I looked up and saw my dear husband.  He stopped by to see what the kids were doing and to walk with me.  That was so sweet of him.  We ended up walking 1.8 miles...I was hoping for 2 miles!  The kids were so pumped after they were finished and I was surprised because that had been such a busy day.  My daughter had a tennis lesson, we went bowling, they did their running thing and afterwards they ran around at the softball field while my husband played ball. 

I'm so glad that I signed them up.  We'll be doing the Fast Track Mile as a family and to me that means so much.  It is so much more than I would have been doing a year ago.  We are becoming a more active and healthier family day by day.
~Crystal

1 comment:

Hope said...

Yay!! Love this post, Crystal! Carter is not loving the running camp as much as your kids are, so I hope he changes his attitude soon. I am happy that your kids love it and look forward to seeing you there tomorrow.