Thursday, May 19, 2011

Being proud of yourself and your accomplishments

Wow!  Two posts from me in one day!  I meant to include this in the last post, but forgot.  Along with feeling down about the pictures this week, I also got discouraged with my running.  I was on cloud nine just after the 5K because I had met my goal of running the whole thing in under 40 minutes.  However, this week, my husband, who is just a casual runner, meaning that he runs every once in awhile, went out and ran 3 miles in 23 minutes like it was nothing!  I was happy for him, but began to doubt that I could ever become a "real" runner.  I trained a lot just to be able to run the 5K and it wasn't easy for me.  I was discouraged to see that he so effortlessly surpassed my accomplishments with next to no effort at all.  I would love to be able to effortlessly crank out 5 miles a day and run 5Ks like they're a walk in the park (literally).  I became so discouraged that for a few days I thought Why even bother?  I'll tell you why....because if I don't, I will never get any better, and I will never lose the weight.  I may not ever be able to run effortlessly like others, or even complete a 5K in under 30 minutes.  I may not ever be able to completely run a half marathon, or fit into a size 8, but I can take pride in my accomplishments.  I don't want to let the accomplishments of others diminish the value of my own.  Anything that you strive to do and accomplish is worth being proud of!
~Hope

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right! Look at what we have accomplished! We are much better off than we were back in February! We are more active than we used to be and we should be proud of that. I do the same thing. I look at others and wonder, "Why can't I do that?" It isn't about what you can or can't do, it's about that you're even doing it at all!

Peggy said...

When my husband and I bought an elptical, I couldn't stay on it for 5 minutes but he was on it the first time for 30 minutes!!! Men lose weight faster than we do also!!!
Be proud of all your accomplishments because I know first hand how hard it is to lose weight and keep it off!!
I could beat myself up when I gained back some of the the 70 pds I had lost on weight watchers! I just keep telling myself," I did it once before and will do it again!" It is taking longer this time!!! I have learned it is very hard when your going through menopause!!!

Mirien said...

I have those same experiences with my husband!! I exercise at least 5-6 days a week and think I'm getting stronger and have more endurance. Then last week we took our younger kids to the park. While they played, we decided to run a few laps around the park. He never exercises but he set a fast pace and I was winded trying to keep up with him. It made me so mad and I had the same feeling of "why do I even bother??" It's so hard to watch him eat whatever he wants and never gain weight while I have to faithfully track and watch every bite just to lose 1/2 pound each week!

It's not fair, but there is nothing I can do about it except to keep trying. I get so frustrated sometimes about how hard it is for me to lose weight when it seems easy for others. But something my WW leader said a few weeks ago has stuck with me. "It's hard to lose weight. It's hard to track points every day of your life. But it's also hard to be overweight. PICK YOUR HARD."

Hope, thanks for writing about your experiences. The motivation comes and goes--that's a reality. But it does help to know we're not alone! That's why I like to stalk your blog. :) Keep up the good work! (the Hope I remember could run circles around me on the softball field!)

Hope said...

Mirien,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Your WW leader is right. It is hard to be overweight. I just need to keep plugging away and, surely, I'll get there.

(BTY ~ You look great!)