Monday, May 9, 2011

Hope's 5K Experience

Oh my goodness!  I did it! (Crystal did too, but I will let her tell you all about her experience.)  I was a little nervous the week leading up to the 5K because I had never run outside, so I wasn't sure if my legs would hold up against the pounding on the asphalt, and I wasn't sure that I could keep my pace without having my treadmill do it for me.  Lots of things were running through my mind as the day approached:  What if it's windy?  What if it's rainy?  What if I just can't do it?  I couldn't seem to get these questions out of my mind.  But, by Friday, my worries were gone and the excitement hit me.  This was it! This was the day that was going to change the way that I felt about myself.  No longer did I want to be the person sitting on the couch watching "The Biggest Loser" and wishing that something fantastic like that could happen to me.  I didn't want to play the If only... game anymore.  You know what I'm talking about:  If only I had better genes....  If only I didn't sweat so much....  If only I had a running partner....  If only I had more time....  The list of excuses goes on and on.  Race day was the day that I was no longer going to WISH that I was that girl that could do it, but I was going to BE that girl that could do it!  I made up my mind that no matter what, I was not going to walk, not even one step.  I had run more than the 5K distance on the treadmill, so I thought that surely, when push came to shove, I would be able to do it.  Well, I did it!  And, it felt great!  My official time was 38:15, which I am so happy with.  My goal was to finish in under 40 minutes.  It wasn't easy, and actually the last 1/2 mile was a killer, but I did it!  I will never forget the feeling that I had as I crossed the finish line.  It has given me motivation to run more and run faster!  I can't wait to do it again!
Crystal and me with our bibs for the race!

My husband, Kenny, and me before heading out to the corral.

My official time!

My bib and medal.

While I was running, I would say to myself Ben's little phrase that means so much:
"If you want to do it, all you have to do is do it!"
~Hope

6 comments:

stacy said...

Congratulations Hope! What an inspiration you are. So happy for you~~be proud you did fantastic!

Hope said...

Thank you so much, Stacy!

Anonymous said...

Hope that is an awesome post! I don't know how I can compare to that. You did so well and I'm so proud of you and so happy that we are doing this together!

Hope said...

Crystal, you did great too. Neither one of us got picked up by the trail bus, which is what we were afraid of! It's all clear sailing from here. You inspire me, and I never would have been able to run the 5K on Saturday, if you hadn't been there to motivate and encourage me. Thank you so much for inviting me on the journey!

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations Hope...keep setting those goals...what an accomplishment!
Elizabeth

Hope said...

Thank you, Elizabeth!